The 2012 Queenstown Heritage and Arts Festival marked 100 years since the fire in the Mt Lyell mine killed more than 40 men. Most of the miners at the time lived in nearby Linda and Gormanston, so it was in the old Royal Hotel in Linda, built in 1910 and now a great grey ruin, that The Drink was installed. A dark pool covered the entire floor-space of the dining hall. Above the water were suspended 5 vertical steel rods, which intimated the rain that falls 300 days a year in the area, and also traced soft perceptual presences in an arc across the room. Where their reflection was caught in the water, they contributed to a greater feeling of depth.
Water, wood, rubble, pond liner. (Photos: 1&2, Laura Hindmarsh; 3 &4, Kim Eijdenberg)